Module 2 Unit 4 Wildlife Protection
Section I Warming up and Reading
1.reserve A. the hair-covered skin(s) of animals
2.loss B. to have something inside or include something as a part
3.fur C. fixed firmly and correctly and therefore not likely to move, fall or break
4.certain D. kindness and forgiveness shown to someone you have authority over
5.succeed E. money that is earned from doing work or received from investments
6.income F. no longer have something or have less of something
7.harm G. physical or other injury or damage
8.mercy H. an area of land kept in its natural state
9.contain I. having no doubt or knowing exactly that something is true
10.secure J. achieve something that you have been aiming for
7. 如释重负；松了口气 _______________________________
1. There Daisy an antelope sad.
1. Please take me to a land I can find the animals that gave f ur to make this sweater.
2. We for the wool . Our fur
to make sweaters for people like you. 为了取得我们肚皮底下的羊毛，我们正在被屠杀。我们的毛被用来为像你一样的人 们制作毛衣。
3. The flying carpet travelled fast next minute they were in Zimbabwe.飞毯飞行得如此之快，以至于一转眼他们就来到了津巴布韦。
4. We an endangered species. Farmers hunted us .我们过去是濒危动物。农民们总是惨无人道地捕杀我们。
5. That’s good news. It shows the importance of wildlife protection, but I help the WWF suggests. 这表明了野生动植物保护的重要性，不过，我还想按照世界野生生物基金会的建议来帮助你们。
1. Please take me to a distant land where I can find the animals that gave fur to make this sweater. 请带我到遥远的地方，在那里我可以发现为制作这件毛衣提供毛绒的那种动物。
The bookstore where (in which) his sister works is the largest one in Nanjing.
This is the university where he studied 20 years ago.
(1) We are going to spend the Spring Festival in Guangzhou, _____ live my grandparents and some relatives.
A. which B. that C. who D. where
(2) The hotel _____ during our holidays stands by the seaside.
A. we stayed at B. where we stayed at C. we stayed D. in that we stayed
2. The flying carpet travelled so fast that next minute they were in Zimbabwe.飞毯飞行得如此之快，以至于一转眼他们就来到了津巴布韦。
1) so... that...句型中的so是副词，常常用来修饰形容词或副词，常用句型为：
主语+谓语+ so + adj. / adv. + that从句。例如：
He is so young that she can't look after herself.
The boy ran so fast that I couldn't catch him.
2) 在“such... that...”句型中，such修饰名词，意思也是“如此……以致于……”。
He is such a clever boy that everybody likes him.
They are such interesting novels that I want to read them once again.
He has made such great progress that the teachers are pleased with him.
He had so many falls that he was black and blue all over.
He had so little education that he was unfit for this job.
(1) He was an honest man that he was praised by the teacher.
(2) He has much money that he can buy what he wanted.
(3) I've had many falls that I have pains here and there.
(4) There is little water in the glass that I can't drink any more.
(5) He is a good doctor that everybody loves and respects him.
3. We used to be an endangered species. Farmers hunted us without mercy.我们过去是濒危动物。农民们总是惨无人道地捕杀我们。
This area used to suffer f rom floods．这一地区过去常遭水灾。
Americans used to like big cars, and gasoline used to be very inexpensive.
used to do sth意为“过去常常做某事(但现在已不如此)
be used to sth/ doing sth意为”习惯于(做)某事”，其中to是介词，后接名词或v-ing形式get/ become used to sth/ doing sth 意为“逐渐地习惯；慢慢习惯”
be used to do sth 意为“被用来做某物”
(1) I to work by underground when I was in London.
(2) A kind of plastic stuff the plates.
(3) I like this.
(1) The workers _______________ their wage demands.
(2) Lack of success _________________ confidence.
2. die out/die away/die down/die hard/die off
(1) die out “灭绝，消失”。多指物种的灭绝或风俗、习惯的消失，强调动作的结束。
Tribes and tribal customs died out centuries ago
(2) die away 慢慢消失。（多指声音、光线、风等）逐渐减弱，逐渐模糊，逐渐消失。强调过程。
The noise of the motorcar died away．摩托车的噪声逐渐消失了。
(3) die down（多指火、兴奋情绪、光线、暴风雨等）逐渐变弱、平息，逐渐暗淡，逐渐降低。表示过程，常可与die away 替换
After the excitement of the audience died down，the speaker restarted his speech．
(4) die hard(旧习惯等)难改掉，难消失。
Old habits die hard．旧习难改。
(5) die off（多指家族、草木）相继死去，先后死亡。
As the widow was still middle-aged，her relatives all died off．
(1) The English of today is very different from the English of 500 years ago. In time, some even
(2) The sound of the engine as the car drove into the distance.
(3) The flames finally .
(4) The leaves of this plant are .
Beer contains alcohol. 啤酒中含有酒精。
The list included his name. 名单上有他的名字。
(1) At the sight of this cruelty，he could hardly his anger．
(2) These valleys gold mines．
(3) Many people like tennis, / .
1. This hat will give p against the sun.
2. Owls h small birds at night.
3. Does the amount of the rain a the growth of the crops?
4. The car has a powerful e .
5. R your strength for the climb.
6. Butterflies, bees and ants are .(昆虫)
7. How long have you been (雇佣)at this job?
8. Did you report the (损失)of your jewellery to the police?
9. We would (感激)letting us know of any problems.
10. Don’t (伤害)your eyes by reading in the dim light.
as a result, die out, in peace, in danger, long to, burst into laughter, without mercy, protect… from…, pay attention to, do harm to
1. We can’t figure out the reason for more and more animals .
2. The boy was seriously ill, and his life was .
3. Please what I am saying.
4. He raised his arm to his child being hurt.
5. Alice overslept this morning. , she was late for work.
6. Too much drinking will you.
7. Jane is have a break from school life.
8. Willie glared at her for a moment, then he .
9. At the first sign of movement, they shot .
10. I told him to go away and leave me .
1. ---- _____ would you like your coffee, black or white?
---- Black, please. I always prefer coffee with nothing in.
A. Which B. What C. How D. 不填
2. ---- You used to live in the city, _____ you?
---- Yes, but so far I’ve already got used to _____ in the countryside.
A. didn’t; live B. usedn’t; living C. did; live D. used; living
3. Such good use has been _____ his spare time _____ his English has improved a lot.
A. made in; that B. made of; as C. made of; that D. made out; as
4. My friend Martin was very sick with a strange fev er; _____, he could neither eat nor sleep.
A. as a result B. after all C. any way D. otherwise
5. We can’t figure out why quite a number of insects, birds, and animals are _____.
A. dying out B. dying away C. dying down D. dying of
6. With no one to talk to, he had to _____.
A. get used to be lonely B. be used to be lonely
C. get used to loneliness D. used to loneliness
7. The natural protection zones protect animals _____.
A. from killed B. from being killed
C. from killing D. being killed
8. She was excited say a word.
A. too; that she couldn’t B. too; not to
C. so; that she couldn’t D. so; and she couldn’t
9. The two neighboring countries have been _____ peace with each other for years, that is, they
have lived _____ peace with each other for a long time.
A. in; at B. in; in C. at; in D. in; at
10. It is reported that _____ has been discovered in the rain forest in Brazil.
A. new species B. a new species C. a new specie D. new specie
11. With no more wood added to the fire, it finally died _____.
A. hard B. down C. out D. off
12. Once harm is _____ to the eco-system, all species will _____, including man himself.
A. made; be in danger B. done; be dangerous
C. caused; be endangered D. done; be in danger
13. When he was asked about the question where he was last night, he was _____.
A. at loss B. in a loss C. at a loss D. with losses
14. Her pale face suggests that she ____ in poor health and strongly suggest that she ___ a doctor.
A. is; sees B. be; see C. is; see D. be; should see
15. When she saw the envelope that _____ many pictures of her personal life, the girl could no
longer _____ her anger and burst into abuses(脏话)
A. included; hold B. contained; contain
C. there were; stop D. had; prevent
1. 他出了一次车祸，结果只得在医院里躺了整整一个月。(as a result)
3. 她很快就适应了那里的天气。( get used to)
4. 你认为中国的熊猫正处在危险中吗？(in danger/ endanger)
There are different kinds of animals in the wo rld. Some animals, such as tigers and lions live in thick forests and they are called 1 animals. While some other animals like sheep and dogs are 2 by men and they are called domestic(驯养) animals. These animals are very different from one another, but we can 3 them into big groups: those that eat other animals and those that eat grass and leaves. Animals like the 4 belong to the first group. Animals like cows, elephants and horses belong to the second group.
Animals are 5 great use to human beings. Men 6 wild animals for their fur and meat. Domestic animals are 7 more important to men. Without them, life will be 8 . People make use of animals in many 9 .
Cows and pigs are usef ul to men’s 10 . They give 80% of the 11 men eat every year. Skin of some animals can be 12 into expensive overcoats and shoes, which are warm and comfortable and 13 a long time. They are very welcome in 14 countries. Wool, which is now one of the most important material for textile(纺织) 15 , comes from a special kind of 16 . From cows, we get milk. And we shouldn’t 17 that some domestic animals are kept for transport. Many people 18 ride horses. Arabs ride on camels which travel in deserts for days without 19 . In some places animals are still used to plough fields.
20 is clear that men just can’t live without these animals.
1. A. wild B. serious C. terrible D. frightening
2. A. trapped B. treated C. sold D. kept
3. A. separate B. divide C. sell D. keep
4. A. chicken B. tiger C. fish D. goat
5. A. with B. to C. for D. of
6. A. hunt B. discover C. raise D. harm
7. A. quite B. very C. even D. any
8. A. smooth B. difficult C. easy D. perfect
9. A. ways B. groups C. places D. kinds
10. A. life B. work C. family D. food
11. A. meal B. meat C. dinner D. animals
12. A. put B. turned C. made D. changed
13. A. last B. cost C. take D. wear
14. A. cool B. cold C. warm D. foreign
15. A. business B. works C. industry D. factory
16. A. sheep B. dogs C. cows D. pigs
17. A. forget B. remember C. realize D. notice
18. A. always B. hardly C. still D. just
19. A. resting B. drinking C. sleeping D. stopping
20. A. That B. This C. It D. So
1. As a result of these endanger ed animals may even die out.
2. This is why wildlife protection is about.
3. There has been some progresses in saving endangered wildlife in China.
4. There Daisy saw an antelope looked sad
5. I wonder what is been done to help you.
6. The car stopped very suddenly that he knocked into the front seat.
7. Our teachers always pay attention to combine theory with practice.
8. The coffee is of excellent quality and has been sold very well.
9. Now 20 per cent of the wildlife park are used in this way.
10. Her humorous story made us burst out laughter sometimes.
Module 2 Unit 4 Wildlife Protection
Section I Warming up and Reading
1.H 2.F 3.A 4.I 5.J 6.E 7.G 8.D 9.B 10.C
1. as a result 2. endangered species 3. die out 4. in peace
5 . in danger 6. long to do/ long for 7. in relief 8. burst into laughter
9. protect … from… 10. pay attention to
1. saw; looking
2. distant; where
3. are being killed; beneath our stomachs; is being used
4. so; that
5. used to be；without mercy.
6. I would like to; as
1. (1) D. 考查定语从句。live为不及物动词，先行词在从句中做状语，故用where.
(2) A. 考查定语从句。先行词在从句中作介词at的宾语
2. (1) such (2) so (3) so (4) so (5) such
3. (1) used to go (2) is used to make (3) am not used to being treated
1. (1) reduced (2) decreased
2. (1) die out (2) died away (3) died down (4) dying off
3. (1) contain (2) contain (3) including me/ me included.
1. protection 2. hunt 3. affect 4. engine 5. Reserve
6. insects 7. employed 8. loss 9. appreciate 10. harm
1. dying out 2. in danger 3. pay attention to
4. protect；from 5. As a result 6. do harm to
7. longing to 8. burst into laughter. 9. without mercy
10. in peace
1. C. 考查疑问词。how 询问健康状况或感觉，表示怎样。
2. B. 考查反义疑问句及动词短语。used to do过去常常，反 义疑问为didn’t或usedn’t; get used to doing习惯于。
3. C. 考查被动语态及固定句式。第一空为make use of的被动语态；第二空为such… that…句式。
4. A. 考查短语辨析。as a result 意为“结果”；after all意为“毕竟，终究”；any way意为“无论如何”；otherwise意为“否则，要不然”。
5. A. 考查动词短语辨析。die out逐渐消失，灭绝；die away（声音，风或光线）逐渐减弱，
消失；die down逐渐变弱，逐渐平息；die of死于（寒冷、饥饿、情感、年老等）
6. C. 考查短语用法。get used to loneliness习惯孤独。
7. B. 考查动词短语protect…from…保护……免受……，from为介词，后接动名词，animal
与kill为动宾关系，故选from being killed.
8. C. 考查固定句式。so…that…句式。excited为形容词，用so修饰，that后为结果状语从句。too…to…意为“太……而不能……”后接不定式表结果，不需使用not，可排除B选项。
9. C. 考查介词短语。be at peace with 和平相处，相当于live in peace
10. B. 考查名词用法及主谓一致。species为可数名词，且单复数同形；谓语动词为单数，故选B。
11. B. 考查动词短语辨析。die down逐渐减弱，渐渐消失。
12. D. 考查动词短语及形容词。do harm to对……有害；生态系统遭到破坏，所有的物种应处于危险，故用in danger. dangerous意为危险的。
13. C. 考查介词短语。at a loss迷惘，不知所措。
14. C. 考查动词用法。第一个suggest意为“表明，暗示”，从句用陈述语气；第二个suggest
意为“建议”，从句用虚拟语气should do, should省略。
15. B. 考查动词辨析。第一空contain意为“包含”，指包含全部内容；第二空的contain意为“控制，遏制”。
1. He had a road accident. As a result, he had to stay in hospital for a whole month.
2. Our fur is being used to make sweaters like yours.
3. He got used to the climate there very soon.
4. Do you think the pandas in China are in danger/are being endangered?
5. What do you suggest we should do to protect wildlife?
1. A. 生活在丛林中的动物属于野生(wild)动物，serious意为“严肃的，认真的”；terrible意为“可怕的”；frightening意为“恐怖的，可怕的”
2. D. 羊，狗都是人所喂养（keep）的动物。Trap意为“困住，关住，使处于困境，危险”；treat意为“对待，招待，款待”；sell意为“卖，销售”。
3. B. 我们可以将动物分成（divide）两类。divide…into…将整体分成几部分；separate…from…分隔，分开。
4. B. 第一种为食肉动物，四个选项中只有tiger属于食肉动物，故选B。
5. D. 动物对人类是非常有用的（of use to = useful to）
6. A. 人类为获取皮毛而猎杀（hunt）动物。discover意为“发现”；raise意为“举起；抚养；饲养”；harm意为“损害，伤害 ”。
7. C. 驯养动物对人类来说更重要。只有even可用在肯定句中强化比较级，any用在否定句或疑问句中强化比较级，例如：Do you feel any better?
8. B. 没有驯养动物生活会变得非常艰难（difficult）。smooth意为“光滑的，平坦的”；easy意为“容易的”；perfect意为“完美的”。
9. A. 人类在很多方面（ways）利用动物。
10. D. 猪牛为人类的食物（food）。
11. B. 人类食其肉（ meat）
12. C. 兽皮可以制成为（be made into ）昂贵的外套，皮鞋等。be put into意为“被投入”；be turned/ changed into意为“被变成”。
13. A. 兽皮制成的衣服温暖舒适而且耐穿。last意为“持续；够用；保持良好状态”；cost意为“花费”；wear为及物动词，要用被动语态
14. B. 皮衣在寒冷的（cold）国家受到欢迎。cool意为“凉爽的”
15. C. 羊毛是纺织工业（industry）的重要原材料。business意为“公司；公司业务”；works/ factory意为“工厂”。
16. A. 羊毛出自羊（sheep）身上。
17. A. 我们不该忘记（forget）有些驯养动物的喂养是为了交通。remember意为“记得”；
18. C. 今天仍然（still）有很多人骑马。always意为“一直，总是”；hardly意为“几乎不”； just意为“正好，恰好；刚要”。
19. B. 阿拉伯人骑行的骆驼可以在沙漠中穿行多日而不用饮水（drinking）。
20. C. It is clear that…“明显的；显然的”， it为形式主语。
1.of去掉 2. why改为what 3. progresses改为progress
4.looked改为looking 5. been改为being或is改为has 6. very改为so
7. combine改为combining 8. been去掉. 9. are改为is或park改为parks