Section II Learning about the language
1. He raised his arm to his face the blow.
2. He turned the room upside-down to the lost key.
3. The giant panda has become .
4. You should not because you want the traffic to move faster.
5. She claims that she the Queen
基本句型 am/is/are+ being+及物动词的过去分词
用法 1） 表示说话瞬间正在进行的被动动作。
His father is being interviewed.
The house is being built.
3） 表示一种习惯的被动行为，常与always, constantly等词连用，一般带有赞扬，羡慕，埋怨，讨厌等感情色彩。
She is always being praised by the teacher.
The patient must be being examined.
The film is being shown now. 电影正在放映。
is being是be 的现在进行式；shown不能误用过去式showed或现在分词showing
Mary, you are wanted on the phone. 玛丽，有你的电话。
(3) be+ under/in等介词+n.结构，可表示现在进行时的被动语态的含 义。
The bridge is under construction= is being constructed. 这座桥正在建设中。
The telephone is in use= is being used. 这部电话正在使用。
1. With more forests being destroyed, huge quantities of good earth _____ each year.
A. is washing away B. is being washed away
C. are washing away D. are being washed away
2. A new cinema _____ here. They hope to finish it next month.
A. will be built B. is built C. has been built D. is being built
3. Rainforests _____ and burned at such a speed that they will disappear from the earth in the near future.
A. cut B. are cut C. are being cut D. had been cut
4. I don’t know what time it is now. My watch _____.
A. is being repaired B. is repairing
C. has been repaired D. has repaired
1. He has been fishing all the morning but hasn't had a single b .
2. Don’t climb that ladder--- it s not s .
3. The patient did not r to treatment.
4. He pointed out the i of the work.
5. What ideas do you have if we e you?
1. One of the best students is writing the report about the environment.→
2. Some factories are polluting the rivers.→
3. Look! Their aunt is taking care of the children.→
4. Is the doctor examining the patient now? →
5. Why are you cleaning the house? →
1. I’m sorry, sir. Your shirt isn’t ready yet. It _____ in the tailor’s shop.
A. is mended B. is being mended
C. has been mended D. hasn’t mended
2. Some measures _____ to protect wildlife resources.
A. are taking B. are taken C. are being taken D. is being taken
3. Hurry up, or the tickets _____ out by the time we get there.
A. will have sold B. will sell C. have sold D. will have been sold
4. More attention protecting wildlife.
A. is being paid B. is being paid to C. has paid D. has paid to
5. A new building _____ at the other side of the street. The work started last year and the building is expected to open next year.
A. is built B. is being built C. has built D. will be built
6. A great number of colleges and universities _____ since 1949.
A. has been establish B. have been established
C. have established D. had been established
7. — Look! Everything here is under construction.
— What's the pretty small house that _____ still _____ for?
A. is... being built B. has... been built C. is... built D. is... been built
8. — Do you like the material?
— Yes, it _____ very soft.
A. is feeling B. is being felt C. feels D. is felt
9. I'll have to push the car to the side of the road because we _____ if we leave it here.
A. would be fined B. will be fined
C. will being fined D. will have been fined
10. You ought to have put the milk in the refrigerator, now _____ sour.
A. I smell B. it is smelt C. it smells D. it is smelling
1. ----How shall we spend this evening?
----My suggestion is that we _____ to the cinema for relaxation.
A. went B. go C. will go D. shall go
2. In my opinion, _____ wild animals should be allowed to live in _____ wild.
A. /; / B. the; the C. /; the D. the; /
3. New ways have to be found to _____ wildlife being endangered. Which of the following is
A. keep B. protect C. prevent D. stop
4. More attention should be paid to _____ our environment.
A. protect B. protecting C. prevent D. preventing
5. It has not been decided who will _____ to the post of chairman of the board, the former holder of which succeeded _____ the company world famous.
A. hold; to make B. succeed; in making
C. stick; making D. lead; to make
6. ---- When the accident happened, how many passengers were in the train?
---- It 1,300 passengers, 208 Japanese .
A. contained; included B. contained; including
C. included; contained D. contained; containing
7. _____ in the ocean, it becomes powerless once it is on the beach.
A. However a whale is powerful B. However powerful a whale is
C. Whatever a powerful whale is D. Whatever powerful a whale is
8. World Wildlife Fund _____ very much the efforts that China has made to protect endangered
species from being further endangered.
A. enjoys B. prefers C. loves D. appreciates
9. It is believed that a new kind of drug _____ by the scientists and they are hopeful that they
will succeed in a couple of months.
A. has been developed B. is being developed
C. is developing D. has developed
10. ---Is this coat yours?
---No, mine _____ there behind the door.
A. is hanging B. is being hanged C. has hung D. is hung
11. Sometimes what a teacher says can _____ the whole life of a student.
A. effect B. touch C. affect D. move
12. When you go out now, you should wear sunglasses to ____ your eyes from the strong sunlight.
A. present B. keep C. stop D. protect
13. While climbing the mountain, he was in danger of _____ by the stone.
A. hit B. hitting C. being hit D. hits
14. I really appreciate _____ to relax with you on this nice island.
A. to have had time B. having time C. to have time D. to having time
15. How on earth are his remarks _____ what they are discussing now?
A. referred to B. related to C. set to D. turned to
I suddenly heard an elephant crying as though frightened. Looking down, I immediately recognized that something was wrong and ran down to the edge of the near bank. There I sa w Ma Schwa with her three-month-old calf struggling in the fast-rising water and it was a life-and-death struggle. Her calf was floating and screaming with fear. Ma Schwa was as near to the far bank as she could get, holding her whole body against the rushing water and keeping the calf pressed against her huge body. Every now and then the rushing water would sweep the calf away.
There was a sudden rise in the water and the calf was washed clean over the mother’s body and was gone. Ma Schwa turned quickly to reach it and pressed the calf with her head and trunk（象鼻）against the rocky bank Then with a huge effort she picked it up in her trunk and tried until she was able to place it on a narrow shelf of rock.
Just at this moment she fell back into the river. If she were carried down it would be certain death. I knew as well as she did, that there was one spot（地点）where she could get up the bank but it was on the other side from where she had put her calf.
While I was wondering what I could do next, I heard the sound of a mother’s love. Ma Schwa had crossed the river and got up the bank and was making her way back as fast as she could, roaring（吼叫）all the time, but to her calf it was music.
1. The moment the author got down to the river bank he saw______.
A. the calf was about to fall into the river
B. Ma Schwa was placing the calf on the rock
C. the calf was washed away by the rising water
D. Ma Schwa was holding the calf against the rushing water
2. How did Ma Schwa manage to save her calf from the fast-flowing water?
A. By putting it on a safe spot.
B. By pressing it against her body.
C. By taking it away with her.
D. By carrying it on her back.
3. How did the calf feel about the mother elephant’s roaring?
A. It was a great comfort B. It was a sign of danger
C. It was a call for help D. It was a musical note
4. What can be the best title for the text?
A. A Mother’s Love B. A Brave Act
C. A Deadly River D. A Matter of Life and Death
Do you know something about tree rings? Do you know they can tell us what the weather was like, sometimes even hundreds of years ago?
1 And little sunshine or rainfall will limit the growth of a tree. We can see the change of climate by studying the tree rings of a tree from the outside to the inside. If the tenth ring is far from the eleventh ring, then we’re sure that it was sunny and rainy most of that year. 2
Tree rings are important not only for studying the history of weather but also for studying the history of man. Many centuries ago there lived a lot of people at a place in New Mexico. 3
4 He fou nd that the people had to leave because they had cut down all the trees to make fires and buildings. 5
A. Trees are important in protecting our soil.
B. But now you can find only sand there---no trees and no people.
C. If it is near to the eleventh ring, then the climate that year was bad.
D. A tree will grow well in a climate with lots of sunshine and rainfall.
E. As all the trees had gone, the people there had to move.
F. Many scientists from the world studied the dead tress there.
G. A scientist studied the rings of dead trees there.
Section II Learning about the language
1. protect… from 2. hunt for
3. sound the horn 4. be related to
5. the endangered species
1. protect from 2. hunt for 3. an endangered species
4. sound your horn 5. is related to
1. bite 2. secure 3. respond 4. importance 5. employ
1. The report about the environment is being written by one of the best students.
2. The rivers are being polluted by some factories.
3. Look! The children are being taken care of by their aunt.
4. Is the patient being examined by the doctor now?
5. Why is the house being cleaned by you?
1. B. 考查现在进行时的被动语态。根据句子的语境Your shirt isn’t ready yet可推断出衬衫正在被修补，应用现在进行时态的被动语态。
2. C. 考查现在进行时的被动语态。句意为：我们在采取措施保护野生动植物资源，measures与take为被动关系，应用进行时的被动语态。
3. D. 考查将来完成时的被动语态。by接将来的时间作状语，句子用将来完成时, tickets与sell为被动关系，应用将来完成时的被动语态。
4. B. 考查现在进行时的被动语态。短语pay attention to的进行时被动语态为is being paid to,
5. B. 考查现在进行时的被动语态。根据句子的语境建筑工作去年开始，明年结束，故现在正在被建设中，用进行时的被动语态。
6. B. 考查现在完成时的被动语态。根据句中时间状语since 1949 可知应使用现在完成时，a number of修饰可数名词复数作主语，谓语动词用复数，故选B。
7. A. 考查现在进行时的被动语态。be+ under/in等介词+n.结构，可表示现在进行时的被动语态的含义，因此由句中的under construction可知房屋正在建设中。
8. C. 考查动词用法。有些动词如feel, taste, smell, sound, look等表示感觉的动词不用进行时，不用被动语态。故选C。
9. B. 考查一般将来时的被动语态。主语we和谓语fine为被动关系。if引导的条件状语从句为一般现在时，故主句应用一般将来时的被动语态。
10. C. 考查动词用法。有些动词如feel, taste, smell, sound, look等表示感觉的动词不用进行时，不用被动语态。故选C。
1. B. 考查虚拟语气。suggestion后所接名词性从句应用虚拟语气(should) do.
2. C. 考查冠词。第一空wild animals泛指类别，不用冠词，第二空in the wild意为“在野外；处于野生状态”
3. A. 考查动词短 语。protect/prevent/stop…from…中的from在主动语态中可省略，keep…
4. B. 考查动词短语。pay attention to中to为介词，后接动名词。
5. B. 考查动词用法。第一空succeed意为“继承”，第二空succeed in doing意为“成功做
某事”。stick to意为“坚持”；lead to意为“导致；通向”。其中to 均为介词，后接sth.或doing sth.
6. A. 考查动词词义辨析。句意为：飞机里有1300名乘客，包括208名日本乘客。 contain
意为“容纳，包含”；include意为“包括”。第二个空可用sb./sth. included或including sb./ sth.。
7. B. 考查让步状语从句。句意为：无论鲸鱼在海洋中是多么强大，一旦来到沙滩，它就变
8. D. 考查动词词义辨析。句意为：野生动植物保护基金会非常欣赏中国为保护濒危物种所
9. B. 考查动词的时态语态。drug与develop为被动关系，另由句中they will succeed in a
couple of months可知药正在研发过程中，故用进行时的被动语态。
10. A. 考查动词的时态语态。由句意可知我的外套正挂在门后。
11. C. 考查动词词义辨析。句意为：有时候老师所说的话可能会影响学生的一生。affect为动词，“影响 ”；effect为名词，“影响”。
12. D. 考查动词短语辨析。句意为：外出时带上太阳镜保护眼睛。protect…from…意为“保护……免受……”；keep/stop…from…意为“阻止某人做……”；present 动词意为“提出, 赠送, 呈现”。
13. C. 考查非谓语动词。of为介词，后接doing作宾语，he与hit为被动关系，故选C。
14. B. 考查动词用法。appreciate为及物动词，后接doing作宾语。
15. B. 考查动词短语辨析。句意为：他的话与讨论的内容到底有什么关系？relate…to…意为“与……有关”；refer to 意为“提及，参考，查阅”；set to意为“开始认真干 起来”；turn
1. D. 考查事实细节。根据Ma Schwa was as near to the far bank as she could get, holding her whole body against the rushing water...可判断。
2. A. 考查事实细节。根据Then with a huge effort, she picked it up in her trunk and tried until she was able to place it on a narrow shelf of rock.可判断大象把小象放在一个安全地点。
3. A. 考查推理判断。根据Ma Schwa had crossed the river ... ... roaring (吼叫) all the time, but to her calf it was music.可判断。大象的吼声对于小象而言就是音乐，也就是一种安慰。
4. A.考查主旨大意。全文描述了母象营救落水小象的过程，展现了伟大的母爱。再根据the sound of a mother’s love可判断本文主题为“母爱”。